NTLS offers a working student program at a few select Independent Centers. The programs availability, activities and duration vary from location to location. It usually is a 6-8 week placement. In your time at the center you will be participating in regular ranch related work as well as playdates with the kids, and work with the horses (if you are 'horsey').
At some locations we can customize the working student program to your needs and accommodate longer programs at various Horse Boy and Movement Method locations around the world. Costs will vary!
Cost: around $1300 for 6-8 weeks and for an additional cost basic accommodations are available on the Centers property.
Dates: upon request
Including: This depends on the Center you are placed with but usually it includes 1 riding lesson per week included level depending on riders skills and assessed by local staff, pick-up and drop off from Airport between 9AM and 8PM, shuttle trips to supermarket (if you are staying with us).
Not included: food or access to car for trips. We suggest that if you plan on taking a few days in the area that you do so at the beginning or end of your time here. You will have to organize your own rental car for these trips.
Additional courses: can be added at 30% discount of regular price
Additional riding lessons: Working students can purchase additional riding lessons at a discounted price of $25 30 minute lunge lesson; $35 trail ride; $50 45 minute lesson on school master (in hand, and or ridden) - (Prices vary per location)
- Please download, complete and send via email our working student application
- Please include a copy of your current medical insurance card and ID to your application.
- A driver license is required. Please include a copy.
- Please also attach two or more written references with contact information from previous employments and volunteer opportunities with children or horses or other work/school related references.
- The final step of the application will be a phone interview.
- Recommended age limit: 18-28 years
- Physically fit: our lifestyle is extremely physical. Applicants must be able to unload 50lbs feed sacks (usually about 40 bags of feed = 2000lbs) in often 90-100F. Obviously you don't need to unload 40 sacks of feed each day but it gives you an idea of how physical the work is. Work day is usually sunrise to sunset. (If you think this is too physical for you, please contact us and we work out what combination of workshops might be best for you).
Hours of operation
For working students this is a vacation. However our staff lives here and works hard. We therefore ask you to not sit up past sunset or 9pm in the winter. If you would like to sit up and chat with other participants, please respect the privacy of our staff and go to a local venue
Depending on where you are accommodations vary. Please consult with your host center if you feel their available accommodations will be suitable for you. If not there are AirBNBs everywhere now, and we strongly suggest for you to look into finding alternative accommodations. If you do not stay on property your host will most likely require you to organize your own transportation i.e. most likely a rental car.
All properties are nonsmoking environments.
Children and Pets
Unfortunately we are not able to accommodate you as a working student if you need to bring your child(ren) or pets.
Please let us know if you have to complete an internship report ahead of time and what you need for your report so we can make sure that your location of choice is the right match for you.