NTLS Forum

Advice for 14 year old with attachment issues

2 weeks 5 days ago #348 by troy
I do need some help/advice with a student we currently have. He is a boy of 14 with attachment issues and has been in care for years but gets kicked out of all his homes up and down the country. He seems set on destroying any relationship he builds. We are the only place he goes that he speaks highly of yet when he is with us he is a nightmare. Lots of ODD behavior with massive highs and lows but no in between. We think most of this is due to a lifetime of rejection and the wrong influences. Any advice would be welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 weeks 5 days ago #349 by ChantalB
Do you have anyone that's Thrive approach trained? That's based on attachment theory (it's no longer a theory, it's scientifically proven now, but people still call it that).

2 weeks 5 days ago #350 by troy
Unfortunately not. Any pointers?

2 weeks 5 days ago #351 by NicoleGillard
We do Thrive at our school. Fantastic for children with attachment issues. I would try giving him a responsibility, maybe 1 or 2 particular animals that he is in charge of and he can build a relationship with. He will push you away to see if you will still be there for him or give up on him (like everyone else has done) but is probably more likely to trust animals much more than humans first. We have done a lot of this work in our fostering. I’m happy for you to call or email Troy if you think I can be of any help :)

2 weeks 5 days ago #352 by troy
We have done the animal ownership bit, which worked for a while but has now lost its magic! He is probably the hardest individual we have worked with and nobody really wants him, especially in education.

2 weeks 5 days ago #353 by NicoleGillard
So sad :(

Time to create page: 0.314 seconds